Thursday, September 24, 2009

banana yogurt bread

I feel so fabulously Susie Homemaker-ish when I bake. I love the way it smells and it makes me want to put on pearls and vacuum. Today as the banana bread baked, I scoured the kitchen from top to bottom and cleaned one of the bathrooms. Baking is also an EXCELLENT way to procrastinate when I need to practice.

Because the last recipe I posted involved a cream sauce (well worth trying, though!), I felt the need to redeem myself by posting this much healthier recipe. This is based on a great banana bread recipe I found some time ago on the Food Network website. As a general rule, I am not a fan of Emeril Lagasse, but this banana bread recipe of his is really fantastic (original recipe here). I made it several months ago and loved it, so today when I found myself with a few overripe bananas, I decided to make it again. This time I changed a few things in an attempt to be somewhat healthier and in the name of creativity. Most significantly, I omitted all the butter! You can check out the original if you want, and I'm writing my adapted version below.

RECIPE

Slightly more than 1/2 cup lowfat yogurt (I love Activia)
3 overripe bananas
1/2 cup lowfat sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
~1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Lightly grease a 9 1/4 by 5 1/4 by 2 1/2- inch loaf pan (I like Baker's Joy)

In a mixing bowl, beat yogurt, bananas, sour cream, eggs, vanilla, and almond extract until well blended. Add the sugar and beat thoroughly, followed by the baking powder, baking soda and salt. When the batter is well-beaten and thoroughly blended, add the flour and mix just until the flour is smoothly incorporated (over-beating flour makes it tough). Fold in nuts.

Pour batter into loaf pan. Bake until lightly browned a knife stuck in the middle comes out clean, or about an hour. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Thoughts/Questions:
  • I felt like my bread got too brown on the edges and top before it cooked through. Suggestions?
  • Also, do you think this would work with whole wheat flour?
  • If you make this, please give me feedback about the texture. It was tasty, but I am wondering if it's a little chewy.
  • I liked this a lot, but I'm wondering how it could be improved (other than using butter!) Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

No comments: