Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hello, Old Friend

I saw my dear friend Mr. Sun today for the first time in awhile. Remember him? You know, he's the central body of our solar system, the planets revolve around him, really hot, makes things grow- got it? It took me awhile to remember, too. It was nice to get reacquainted today.
Everyone in Gent was out in full force. It was so crowded. (And yet, unbelievably quiet-- I love this aspect of Flemish culture. There is no way you could have that many Americans in one place and have such a low noise level.)

I snapped a few pictures and enjoyed feeling the sun really shine on my face for the first time in months. This Florida girl is ecstatic. My dear friend and fellow Fulbrighter Jessica and I went shopping and sat on the edge of the Graslei drinking fruit smoothies and marveling at the blue sky; it was as if the city had taken on a totally new persona. It was a truly fabulous way to spend a Saturday afternoon.


2 comments:

Alina said...

Hey Lauren,
I just stumbled upon your photo on facebook and found the new blog. Yay! I didn't realize you were in Belgium now! Wow!! I share your in case of "severe wanderlust", but for now I'll be content to look at your photos! :-) Hope all is well.

Alina

Alina said...

that should read: "I share in your case of..." :-)