Monday, January 5, 2009

children's worship

Every Sunday I help in children's worship.  I am responsible for the music, and then I stick around and help out during the rest of the time.  The kids are pretty funny and I enjoy getting to know them.

Overheard yesterday:

An exchange between A (a little boy about 5), and S (a little boy about 7):
A: are your little sisters still twins?
S (incredulously): of course they're still twins. 
A: now? they're still twins?
S: twins are just twins.  they're always twins.  
The puzzled (and slightly exasperated) look on S's face was priceless.

My favorite quote of the day came from M, a little boy about 6 years old.  The teacher said that she was going to bless the snack and for everyone to be quiet.  After she finished praying, M turned to me and said with exuberant confidence: "I'm a great blessinger."
~

I really want to teach the children theologically rich, classic hymns.  I love praise music, but a lot of it just isn't as laden with good, solid theology.  The hymns I learned in my childhood have reinforced truth in me like nothing else, and I would love to pass that on.  So, I'm compiling hymns that I would like for them to learn over the course of a year.  My initial list is below (in no particular order).
  • May the Mind of Christ My Savior
  • Jesus, What a Friend for Sinners
  • Great is Thy Faithfulness
  • Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
  • Fairest Lord Jesus
  • Praise to the Lord
  • My Jesus, I Love Thee
  • How Deep the Father's Love for Us
  • Amazing Grace
  • And Can it Be
  • What a Friend We Have in Jesus
  • Trust and Obey
  • There is a Redeemer
  • Be Thou My Vision
  • How Firm a Foundation
  • Have Thine Own Way, Lord
  • Holy, Holy, Holy
  • How Great Thou Art
  • It is Well
  • He Leadeth Me
  • 'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus
  • When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
Please let me know if you have any suggestions, or even if you have concerns about any of the hymns in this list.  Thanks!

1 comment:

amishwolf said...

How about "In Christ Alone"? It's relatively new, but has good theology. "Oh For a Thousand Tounges to Sing" is good, as is "Before the Throne of God Above"....hymns were my first introduction to the gospel.