Monday, January 26, 2009

the list: 25 things.

Quite a few friends have done this list recently, and have asked me to do it too.  It's just 25 random things about myself.  I think it's a little narcissistic and silly, but it's also a little fun to see what people come up with.  So here you have it.  Unfortunately, I think some of my random things may also fit into a list of shameful confessions.  (I'd like to see 25 things about you!)

1. I am obsessed with coffee. I have 5 different coffee makers (drip, french press, espresso machine, turkish, vietnamese), and a Bodum milk frother.

2. When I was little (like 2-4), I had an imaginary sister named Catherine. I insisted that she have a place set at the table and that she be buckled up in the car. I even introduced her to strangers, much to my mother's chagrin.

3. I love to cook. I spend a lot of time looking at food blogs and planning menus. I also often try to make recipes without using a lot of equipment (even when it's called for), because when I travel I am often in places with limited resources and I don't want to be dependent on gadgets. I am also obsessed with good ingredients, and derive a shameful amount of pleasure from specialty grocery shops.

4. I am a true picture of God's mercy, love and grace.

5. Periodically I buy very nice tea and say I am going to become a "tea person" (in addition to, not instead of, being a "coffee person"). But you know what? Frankly, I think that tea is overrated. I like it and all, and there are those times when a cuppa really hits the spot, but I think I am going to quit forcing it on myself.

6. I cry every day. Not sobbing, of course, but I am easily moved and tear up quickly over the smallest, sappiest things. I try to hide it because I know it's ridiculous, and most of the time I am successful. So that's why you've never noticed.

7. Although I would never describe myself as a fan, while in the South I listen to a fair amount of country music. I mean, in what other genre can you have a romantic rendezvous, a fight, a tragedy, and then faithful, undying love... all in one song?

8. I am highly emotional. Despite my best efforts to always think rationally and be level-headed, my feelings often get the best of me. On the Myers-Briggs personality test, I am over 90% "F", or feeling, as opposed to "T", thinking.

9. I have a serious case of wanderlust.

10. I love to take care of people.

11. I'm not shy, but I get pretty nervous and uncomfortable when I'm around a lot of people that I don't know.

12. I especially like to watch foreign films because even if the film itself isn't that good, you can still learn something about the language and culture.

13. This may be my weirdest one: I cannot bear to be anywhere near someone who is brushing their teeth. I will freak out. The sight of it, the sound of it... AAUUUGGGHHHHH. It totally sets me off. I have had to train all of my roommates to NEVER approach me, talk to me, or come into the same room as me if they are brushing their teeth. I cannot even begin to tell you what that does to me. (I brush my own teeth regularly, don't worry. And I want everyone else to brush, too-- just not in front of me.)

14. I usually have trouble relaxing enough to go to sleep.  Then after I do fall asleep, I have even more trouble waking up.

15. I can think of a few places where I might not really want to go, but I can't think of anywhere that I wouldn't go.

16. I love languages.

17. I love being a girl.

18. I love "winging it" in a foreign country where I can't use English. I love the challenge and feeling of accomplishment when I get what I need and do what I want to do in a totally foreign environment. When I travel, I try never to stay in really nice places, but to live, shop, eat, travel, etc. like the locals do-- no matter how rough or strange it is.

19. I almost never forget people's names and faces. I also remember personal details more easily than other facts. Unfortunately, knowing the names of historical figures' children and pets does not usually help on exams.

20. I have studied for the LSAT three times but never actually taken it. One of my friends finally pointed out that crying in the courtroom is generally frowned upon, and I might have trouble controlling my emotions during heated litigation.

21. I am quite possibly the most non-athletic person ever.

22. I am absurdly competitive. Even when I'm just playing a trivia game online, I sometimes imagine that I'm competing against others for a big prize and/or impose time limits if they're not given.

23. I have terrible spatial and mechanical intelligence. Even children's puzzles are sometimes challenging for me. It's so bad that when I took a sewing class in 7th grade, I was never actually able to make anything because it would take the whole period each meeting for me to thread the machine and lay the pattern out on the fabric. The teacher told my mom to let me quit and said, "You know, she doesn't have to be good at everything."

24. I took ballet, tap and jazz dance for 9 years. My parents originally signed me up because they hoped to reduce the number of times I tripped over my own feet while walking. I still trip a lot, but it probably would have been worse.

25. I am the epitome of the all-or-nothing person.

No comments: